I start thinking about the end of the year just before Solstice, on my birthday, as we all do. It seemed especially labyrinthine (new word!) this year, with my new year, the Solstice, the Christmas holiday-travel and the New Year feeling like they all happened at once.
It's a time for reflection, self care, beginnings and endings. Excitement, shedding of the old and well known, nurturing of the mysterious new... This year how I create changed in strong, spark-starting ways. This year was perhaps, about finding myself within my art. This year, my goal is to take what I've learned and run with it, scattering it like seeds into the world.
I'm ready to trip over scary things, leap with joy with new skills and connections. I want to hone my craft, to tool, stitch, and weave with confidence and share what I create with you, the world.
It's going to be huge.
These are the things I hope to accomplish in this new calendar year, in addition to continuing to do what I've found this past year. I split them up between art and self, but we all know it's really the same list.
for my Work
- Be in the Studio every day. Even if it's just sitting in the quiet in my grandmother's chair.
- Write more about my real world of creating. The balance of creating what makes my soul sing vs. having a day job, paying bills, learning new methods of moving through my art, sleeping enough while trying to make enough art.
- Explore different options of photographing my work
- Make the clogs
- Paint more, on leather and paper
- Practice for practice's sake
- Collaborate with patrons to make belts & bags
- Weave more custom scarves (this is going to be exciting!)
- Explore wet felting as a cocoon making option
- Teach those who want to learn
for my Heart
- Move my body more often. Be it at the gym, yoga class, or on the living room floor, I found myself missing the quiet of physical, blood-pumping movement this year.
- Bake bread, eat it with cultured butter
- Cook more dinners, and try new recipes
- Keep my heart open
- Remember to breathe
- Drink hot tea (and whiskey) slowly, savor the moment
- Putter about the yard
- Take trips
- Nap in the hammock
- Visit with friends, near and far (dessert dates, letters, phone calls)
I'll continue to explore my mediums, work with intent. I'll snuggle the kitties and humans I adore, drink lots of water, and bake cookies. I will continue to learn to listen to my true-self, and to ask for help when it's needed.
This is just the base of the mountain. I am ready.
What will you do this year?